Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 60 lb wheaten terrier who was recently diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 60 lb wheaten terrier who was recently diagnosed with an ear infection. The vet did a thorough flush and gave me an oral antibiotic. However, he refuses to let me put drops in his ears.. I even bought a soft muzzle but he goes crazy and I cannot hold him still. Any advice on giving a terrified dog ear drops? Will the antibiotic take care of the infection alone? I want him to feel better... Thank you for your time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the terrier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: Not really, he's very healthy otherwise :)
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Unfortunately oral meds usually don't do the job, so those ear drops will still be needed. If Tucker won't permit the drops being placed into his ears, you do have the option of taking him back to the vet every day for medication. Most staff are happy to do the job with a pet who would rather opt out of meds, given the option. The next option is to have a second person restrain and for you to apply the drops. Make sure to place to muzzle first.

My preferred method of dealing with an avoiding pet is to muzzle them, back their bum into a corner and stand over the top of the pet with their body between my knees (works best 50# ***** under for me). Sometimes you have to use your whole body to keep the pet still enough for this to happen. I don't know about your dog but some pets are so itchy that if you massage one ear, it can distract them enough to medicate the other.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing? Do you need more assistance?