Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

I accidentally hit my dog in the eye when I was untangling

Customer Question

I accidentally hit my dog in the eye when I was untangling his chain. The pupil on the hit eye started getting smaller. I noticed it was getting red around the outside of the iris and a tiny bit of blood on the edge of the lid. In about 10 minutes it started going back to normal size but is still red on the White part.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Can I use eye drops in his eye?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this injury which has happened to your dog but accidents do happen; I hope you're not feeling too bad about this since it wasn't intentional.

It sounds as if there's irritation secondary to the injury which should resolve in a few days. There are a number of acceptable otc eye medications which can be used for him which I'll list below. If you have human eye drops, let me know what they are and I can tell you if they're safe.

The Systane products which are listed can be used in dogs, but the ones with vasoconstrictors, such as naphazoline should be avoided. These products are labeled as "taking the red out" or for "red eye".

Duralube
Duolube
Lacrilube
Genteal PM
Refresh PM
Tears Naturale Nighttime
Systane Nighttime

Systane Ultralubricant sterile eye drops
Soothe Nighttime
Advanced Eye Relief Nighttime
Hypotears ointment
Akwa Tears ointment

I dose 3-4 times a day for 7-10 days although he may respond sooner.

As for the small laceration or injury to the lid, I'd gently clean this with warm water or sterile saline but it should heal just fine on it's own.

It the eye itself continues to remain red or if a green/yellow discharge should develop and/or he squints or keeps the eye closed, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb