Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

There is a stray dog that has come to my yard that has a

Customer Question

There is a stray dog that has come to my yard that has a collar that has a little skin grown over it. I have no money to take to vet how can I safely sedate her to remove the collar safely and clean it up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Don't know it's a stray that's is around the neighborhood hood. The people moved and left her
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the stray dog?
Customer: No she's friendly I just don't want her to feel the pain of removing the collar
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 25 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

There is no safe way to sedate a dog at home. If she will let you, remove the collar and then give her a few days to allow some of the inflammation to go down where it cut into her neck, and then try to clean it up with soap and water. You can apply some Neosporin after cleaning the wound. The other option is to call your local animal shelter and see if they have a veterinarian who works with them that could help get her in better shape. Many shelters have a staff veterinarian now. Also, check to make sure that no one has reported her missing. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Is there something I can give her to let her relax then?

Unfortunately, nothing over the counter that would quickly work. There are herbal calming agents, but they can take weeks to work.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
What can I put on it to help it heal
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
not get infected
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 24 days ago.

Hello. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. You can use neosporin with lidocaine (provides pain relief). Just try to keep her from scratching the area once you have been able to remove the collar. Any success getting the collar off?

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 20 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm