Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My year and a half chi woke me up this a.m. With horrible

Customer Question

My year and a half chi woke me up this a.m. With horrible cries. He was laying on floor unable to get up but his legs were moving he had vomit by him clear in color labored breathing crying a sound I've never heard before. Then died within 20 mins. I live in small town with one vet who didn't respond back to my emergency call for 45 mins. I don't understand what happened in I feel so guilty I couldn't help him. Any ideas on what might of happen. Other then today he's always been healthy
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He seemed to be in so much pain
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you

To start, I am so sorry for your tragic loss.

1) Any risk of ingesting toxins or medication in your home?
2) Any past illness or injury?
3) What has been done with Dougie's body?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't find that he might've gotten into I've looked everywhere. He's had no other injuries or health problems nothing he's been in very good health and we buried the body my kids and me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Around probably five this morning I got up to use the restroom and when I came back to bed and he jumped up there with me and snuggled under the covers and I was last time I seen them really until he was crying this morning

My concern is that that this may have been secondary to an underlying condition such as a cardiac abnormality. There are not a great deal of toxins that work so quickly and without more profound symptoms. Cardiac issues can occur spontaneously and a pet can die very quickly thereafter. For a dog to be only 1 and have this happen, the issue would need to have been substantial. If you own any related dogs, I would consider having them in for an exam as soon as you can to rule out underlying illness that may be shared.

The reason I asked about his body is that your vet could offer a necropsy to take a look at his internal structures post-mortem. Sometimes this tells us precisely what has happened.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Our vet would charge an arm n a leg to do that unfortunately.

I'm afraid it's typically a very meticulous job, so it often does cost quite a bit of money. But it can be a huge blessing for the owner who insists on knowing what happened.

Let me know if I can help further.