Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My golden retriever started limping on front leg suddenly

Customer Question

My golden retriever started limping on front leg suddenly about a month ago. Had been on Rimadyl for arthritic pains in hind legs which had been controlling the pain fine. Got switched to Previcox and it does not seem to be helping the front leg limp whatsoever. She also takes 100 MG of tramadol 3x daily. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to address your concern about Molly.. First, it may be that Molly simply needs an adjustment in her dosing. I agree with your veterinarian's decision to change her from Rimadyl to Previcox, since Previcox is the best non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for pain maintenance in dogs and is gentler on the stomach, liver and kidneys than Rimadyl. However, since Previcox is dosed every 24 hours versus every 12 hours (such as Rimadyl), it may be that the dose of Previcox is not carrying pain control her through the 24 hour time period. Also, if Previcox has just recently been started (such as past few days), it may need a few more days in her system to adjust to the change in NSAID. My suggestion to you is to call your veterinarian that has prescribed this medication to Molly and explain that she is still experiencing front leg pain on the Previcox. He/she may recommend a temporary increase in the dosing of the Previcox and then tapering the dose back down when she is feeling better. Just make sure that you do not attempt to adjust the dose of Previcox without taking to your vet about it first; also, be certain you do not mix the Previcox with the Rimadyl as this will lead to an increased risk of gastrointestinal ulceration and potential gut perforation (i.e. surgical emergency).

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I am just checking in to see how Molly is feeling? Please let me know if you have other questions or I can be of more assistance. Also, please do not forget to rate my response to you so I may receive credit/compensation for my professional time in assisting you with your concern about Molly..It is most appreciated..