Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy just punctured my bic lighter and the butane was

Customer Question

My puppy just punctured my bic lighter and the butane was spraying around
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you.
Customer: I don't know if she got any in her mouth
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: she just did it
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: not really i just wondered what I should do, like make her throw up or something
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 22 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As long as you are not seeing any odd symptoms then there is nothing you need do other than flushing out your dog's mouth with luke warm water. In my experience most dogs seem to get away with these sorts of incidents since normally very little of the contents of the lighter is actually swallowed. Of course if odd symptoms do occur such as vomiting, lethargy or incoordination then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet just in case.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than keeping an eye on your dog, however in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 21 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your puppy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Bic lighter incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?