Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Doberman had stroke and not seizures and started medication

Customer Question

doberman had stroke and not seizures and started medication but cannot walk. I try turning her on a different side when I get home but is there anything else I should be doing for her organs and laying in same spot all day?
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian.
Customer: ok
JA: Have there been any changes in appearance or diet?
Customer: She has been on Previcox and methocarbamol for stroke and then 1 week ago went on phenobarbital due to the seizures. She had seizures 3 days in a row so was put on Phenobarbital. After the 3 seizures she could hardly walk but after being on phenobarbital she cannot stand at all and has been on it for 6 days. The vet said it would take about 3 - 4 weeks to stabilize in her system. Is there anything I should do for her being down and unable to stand or walk for 3 - 4 weeks?
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If supported with a sling under her hips, is she able to rise and move on her own accord?

is she still eating and drinking well?

How are you addressing her need to use the bathroom?