Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Oh just reading this post that my dog is currently behaving

Customer Question

Oh just reading this post that my dog is currently behaving as
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: My dog seems to be walking, limping (?), in circles and whining whenever I try to make him go the other direction or pick him up normally. I don't know if he is in pain but he is shaking a lot when he is sitting or laying down.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help your dog.
Customer: Alright thank you
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: Diet, yes. My sister accidentally bought smaller kibbles than what he is used to.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: Other than an odd protrusion on the side of his body, not really
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share the protrusion from his body from the side and above in detailed pictures?

Is this a different brand or flavor of food than what he is used to eating?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he still willing to eat and drink currently?

What breed is he?

Will he lay down and rest?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'll add the pictures later. He has been having this for a couple years now and it hasn't affected him physically. The vets had it x-rayed and said it isn't something to worry about. He hasn't been vomiting or had diarrhea in a long time. He will always want to eat no matter what and he just drank from his bowl half an hour ago. He is a half breed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua. He rested with my sister for a couple hours.

Perhaps a lipoma, then? A fatty tumor?

The shaking can be a sign of discomfort. When did this begin?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It seems more hard like a bone. I wasn't home when it happened so it could be around 6+ hours ago when my sister was home. He limps around in a circle scrunching himself in a circle shape where the protrusion is outside the shape. I don't know if he jumped off the recliner chair wrong or something where I last placed him.

I'll keep an eye out for pictures or video. It sounds like this is something that needs to be visualized to appreciate.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Sorry it took so long. First time doing this kind of thing.

I can't be certain without feeling this with my own hands but this appears to be a floating rib and, if so, is completely benign.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Will I need to bring him to a vet ASAP? I'm not completely sure what to tell the doctor what his symptoms are.

The symptoms are very vague but it's always wise to have a visit performed uf you are concerned. If this is a floating rib, this is not something that needs immediate medical care but the other symptoms might.