Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My five pound Yorkie keeps shaking her head. I've been

Customer Question

My five pound Yorkie keeps shaking her head. I've been thinking an ear infection on the right side. I ordered what was said to be a number one selling ear drop for dogs ear infections. She has black stuff in her ear similar to possible tiny clumps of dirt or dry blood but it's not blood. I made sure of that. Well I clean ear ear with rubbing alcohol and a clothe but only the outer part and took the debris out of her ear that aren't too far down. More are now there but it's also deeper and I know not to try and clean anything to far down the canal. Not sure what to do or what it is.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: She's the same but not quite as active. She will be ten in April but acts like a puppy. She still is eating and loves to try and beg us for our food still so that's the same. She hasn't been getting much sleep at night either. I know because I've been up with her.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of. She eats either soft food or hard food thats a bit watered down since she doesn't have all her teeth. But she's always been really healthy besides ear thing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry to hear your girl is feeling poorly.

Can you tell me do you have any Cats in the home or is she an only pet?

Is she tilting her head to one side or the other?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have another dog in the home. An eight year old mix. There's stray cats around the neighborhood but she's never outside alone. Yes, she's tilting her head a bit to the right at times which is what made me check her right ear. I checked the left after but it's completely normal.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She also hates her ears messed with normally but as I was cleaning her ear she seemed to enjoy it. I've had dogs my entire life and none have ever had an ear infection or anything like this.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Thank-you. This very well could be an ear infection, but since you have cats around I am also concerned about Ear mites which are contagious and can leave the debris you are describing. In this case I do not recommend over the counter ear drops. She should be seen by her Vet for a Prescription treatment and possibly an oral antibiotic if needed. If the infections goes too far into the ear it can affect her Vestibular area which will though her off balance as well as cause her nausea. The ears are a sensitive area and I urge owner when they feel there is an ear infection present to have their pet seen. If there are ear mites along with the infection that would take a separate treatment. Most likely the Vet would flush the ears to get a good look at them and treat accordingly.

Please hit reply for questions and concerns. My goal is to give you excellent service and earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she can get these mites from cats even though she's never actually around one? She's never actually been in contact with a cat or even close to one.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Ear mites can be left in the yard where she goes out and she can pick them up. It may just be an ear infection , but I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to the ears. As I mentioned the infection if bad can get into the Vestibular area which is in the middle ear and we see Vetrigo in dogs, nystagmus and nausea. It causes simiar to our sea sickness. Most of the over the counter medication do not touch infections in the ears because of the type of bacteria needs to be addressed.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now that I'm thinking about it. Before this whole tilt thing and shaking her head, about a couple weeks ago she was standing there and just kind of fell over. She got right back up and was normal and it was the first and last time. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Also after some looking online I found a picture of something that resembles what's in her ear its just not as large.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will take her in. I was wondering if you had an idea about the average cost of what it might be to get it all done?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The shaking of her head and tilt only started two days ago though.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

This is what we see with Ear Mites:

Excessive scratching and rubbing of ears, Head shaking, Black or brown waxy secretion, Strong odor,

Inflammation in the ear and it can cause Obstruction of ear canal with coffee ground-like discharge. As I said it could very well be an infection, but it could also be both.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering if you had an idea about the average cost of what it might be to get it all done? I'm thinking it may be ear mites at this point.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Vet visits vary from state to state and depending what they do. The first thing would be an exam and to assess wht is going on and a Otoscope is used to look in the ear. Depending what they see, drops. cleaning the ears, flushing the ear and an antibiotic are all possible. Where I am if just an office visit and ear treatment $100+ medication, but if the have to flush the ear and do further treatment it will be more.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it a lot
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan