Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 4 year old Cairn / Westie mix has been drinking more

Customer Question

Hello: My 4 year old Cairn / Westie mix has been drinking more water than usual and panting after light exercise over the last week.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Hello: My 4 year old Cairn / Westie mix has been drinking more water than usual and panting after light exercise over the last week.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No apparent pain; however, he did vomit yesterday
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. He eats about 5 to 6 ounces of food per day. Half in the morning, half in the night. Oren dry food and Merrick can food, mixed
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cavalli
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Cavalli?
Customer: Nothing else I can think of
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that Cavalli had a full panel of blood work and urinalysis performed?

2) Has the vomiting continued or only occurred once?

3) Any changes in the stool?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No testing has been done. He has vomited on occasion in the past. maybe 3 times per monthStool is the sameJust remembered he also has two small flat cysts in the left arm pit under the skin. About 4 to 6 mm
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

The increased drinking and panting is reason for concern and I would recommend an exam and bloodwork to be sure the they don't indicate a medical issue about which you should be concerned.

For the short-term, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours when you see vomiting. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing today? Improvements? Do you need additional assistance?