Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has a tick on his penis and we cannot get it out, Dex

Customer Question

My dog has a tick on his penis and we cannot get it out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dex and he is two
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Dex?
Customer: He does not like strangers. He has bit two ppl already. Will he outgrow this?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My dog who is two hates when ppl come to our house. He has bite two ppl already. Will he out grow this? Or should I return him to the spca?? He gets very angry when someone is around us. We have on.y had him for two months and it is getting worse.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Seeing where the tick is, I'd recommend at least having 2 people and making a temporary muzzle as well. Find instructions on how to make an emergency muzzle on the site below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CwNyfaU3g

You can remove a tick by grabbing it firmly at the head and gently tugging it away using a pair of tweezers until it separates from the bite site. Be sure and grab it at the head to prevent the head and body from separating. If it does separate, don’t worry, your dog’s body will attempt to dislodge it on it’s own. Your vet also has tools that are able to get it out if it really bothers you. Once it is off your dog, you can flush it down the toilet, or burn it. Treat the bite wound with peroxide and Neosporin. There are tick removal tools available on the web, which you may want to look into as they do make it easier to remove ticks.

Here is an alternative tick removal process.

http://www.vet.bc.ca/remove-ticks.pml

Some experts will recommend coating the tick with cooking oil which usually will get a tick to back out of the skin.

You may notice a small lump where the tick was attached. It is perfectly normal.. It may take as long as a week for it to go away. You will want to keep an eye on your dog for symptoms of Lyme disease which are high fever, swollen lymph nodes, lameness, and a loss of appetite You may want to have it noted in your dog's Vet record that he had a tick.

As for his other issues I'll need more information such as breed, age, neuter status, and if he has had any obedience training?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.