Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My 28# Cavalier, we believe, ate a used Tampon. It was

Customer Question

My 28# ***** we believe, ate a used Tampon. It was approx 8-10 hrs ago. He has had normal affect, play and does not seem to be in any distress. He did however, just vomit his entire dinner (Kibble and Royal Canine-Digestive). It seemed to have a couple of small paper pieces (very small) in it...I have seen different reviews. Should we just watch and wait to see if it passes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Llinkoln....11 months Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Llinkoln?
Customer: No, very healthy..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Tampons are super absorbent and tend to expand quite a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system. It may pass but it is also possible that it could cause an obstruction.

This long after ingestion it is too late to induce vomiting, as it is reasonable to think most of the pieces have made their way into his intestinal tract.

I wouldn't panic quite yet, as he seems to feel fine and has only vomited once. That may just be the irritant effects from eating foreign material.

To try and settle his stomach tonight you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. They can be given for several days if need be.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to help push the remaining pieces through.

All you can do now is watch him closely. If he starts vomiting several times and cannot keep food down, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can ask any follow-up questions here & I will be happy to respond here.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 28 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 27 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****