Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I can try. One dog is black and you can only feel the bumps

Customer Question

I can try. One dog is black and you can only feel the bumps the other is white and you can see them on his stomach. I am really curious as one dog got them 2 days ago and the other just got them today. Hope would I send a pic?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Please do attach a photo. I'll be standing by.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This dog Sprout got it two days after the other dog. I have a third dog but he is fine so far.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The 2 dogs got out and ran for about 30 minutes. I live in the high desert is there some type of plant that could have caused this?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I posted a pic are you able to see it?

My apologies, JACustomer. I signed off just before your reply for dinner. Im back again now.

These look like pustules. How old are the two dogs with symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
one and three. I also have an 11 year old that is all ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The three year old got them first the one year old got them two days later.

There is a good chance that this is due to exposure to some type of plant that irritated the skin and it really could be anything from weeds to grass. If this worsens, they will need to be placed on antibiotics but for now this looks minor enough to treat at home with antihistamines and regular bathing of the area. I would use a moist cloth and a mild soap to clean the skin where you are seeing the bumps. This can be done 1-2 times daily. Make sure this area is patted dry after the cleaning.

There are a wide variety of OTC antihistamines that can be used in dogs, but my favorite is Zyrtec as it seems to offer the most relief to pets. Info here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

The chances that your older dog is less sensitive and, thus, doesn't have a skin reaction that the younger dogs do. It is also common for us to see dogs develop reactions at different rates, so neither pup has to operate on the same schedule. Typically we will see the most sensitive dog react first.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you last night. How are the pups doing today?