How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joan Your Own Question
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17427
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Joan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20lb beagle ate part of an old ant trap. i gave her a

Customer Question

my 20lb beagle ate part of an old ant trap.
JA: The veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that.
Customer: i gave her a little milk. the trap containedAvermectin (0.05%)
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: no just happened 20 minutes ago
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: like i said its a very old trap that must have blown of the flower stand in the back yard. its windy today ok
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 30 days ago.

Hello,

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry to hear about this issue.

Can you tell me if the Beagle ate the plastic?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 30 days ago.

Hello,

I do not want to wait since you see very upset . The inside of the ant trap is considered non toxic and the most you may see is a little upset stomach. My concern is more the fact if the plastic was ingested. Plastic is what is the big issue in the Ant and roach traps. It can cause a blockage in small doges and if sharp edges can perforate the intestinal tract. Please let me know if your Dog swallowed the plastic or just chewed up the trap so I can give you the next steps to take.

Joan

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
she just chewed it.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
i have been looking up what to do and based on what i have read i think is going to be ok i will keep a very close watch on her the next hour.
Expert:  Joan replied 30 days ago.

The inside of the ant trap is considered non toxic and the most you may see is a little upset stomach. My concern is more the fact if the plastic was ingested. Plastic is what is the big issue in the Ant and roach traps. It can cause a blockage in small dogs and if sharp edges can perforate the intestinal tract. The Milk you gave may cause some diarrhea, because dogs cannot digest the sugars in the Lactose, but I suspect that will be the worst you see. If The Beagle swallowed pieces of the plastic we would have had to take further measures. If there is an upset stomach, please withhold food and after 12 hours a bland diet of skinless chicken breat 1 part to 3 parts white rice for a few days and then wean back onto food.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 30 days ago.

Please hit Reply for any concerns, and I will be happy to addressed them. My goal was to put your mind at ease and to give you excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my service 6 stars, so I can be compensated for my time and answers by the site.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 28 days ago.

How is your Dog doing? As I said I did not suspect you would have any problems because the interior of the Traps are considered non toxic. Please up date me on how she is doing.

Joan