Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a 6 year old (7 in december) golden retriever who has

Customer Question

Hi...I have a 6 year old (7 in december) golden retriever who has been healthy througout her life. After being lethargic and not eating much for a few days, she rebounded for 2 days only to start the same cycle again. Today I took her to the vet (of course she was acting perfectly normal) but when I mentioned she had been coughing a little he did a chest x-ray revealing small white spots on her lungs. Some of the films showed them, but the x-ray panels of her lungs from her back didnt show them. All other organs, stomach, spleen, intestines are fine, no tumors or enlargement. What can this be besides cancer? Taking her to a special internal medicine vet tomrrow for further diagnoses
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: what are some questions I may want to ask the vet tomorrow ? i'm too devestated to be thinking clearly
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 24 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Besides cancer, it could be a fungal infection, depending on what part of the country you live in. You need to have either an aspirate of one of the nodules or a bronchoscopy to get samples to determine. A bacterial infection is less likely, given that they are distinct nodules. Fungal infections are treatable, but require anti fungal medications for several weeks to months. Was bloodwork done? Please ask any additional questions.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 18 days ago.

Was the internist able to determine the source of the nodules? Just wanted to follow up with you after her appointment.