Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I am flying an 8 week old puppy in the cabin with me. Is

Customer Question

I am flying an 8 week old puppy in the cabin with me. Is there anything i can give her to safely sedate her for the trip. She weighs 9 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Nothing but I want her quiet for the flight.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she does not hurt and is in excellent health
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Persia
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Persia?
Customer: She had a complete health check yesterday.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did you discuss oral sedatives with your vet yesterday during her health check?

Have you checked with the airlines to be sure they permit animals to be medicated while flying?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.

The most commonly prescribed medications for flight in my experience are acepromazine and alprazolam. Both are prescription items and alprazolam is a controlled substance. Many veterinarians are hesitant to use such medications in very young dogs and, keep in mind, neither of them guarantee results. The idea is to give just enough to keep the pet calm. Either medication can cause an excitable stage where they vocalize constantly instead of relaxing and stress has a great deal to do with the behaviors, as well. It's wise, if you choose to go this route, to medicate the pet a few days ahead to know how they react and how much of the medication is needed. Typically the vet will send your prescription with a wide dose for the efficacy range in case you need to increase the dosage or redose during travel.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. Did you have additional questions? I did not hear back from you yesterday.