Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 13 lb. Boston Terrior pup who ate a whole tube of

Customer Question

I have a 13 lb. Boston Terrior pup who ate a whole tube of neosporian (.5 oz.). She ate it about 4 hours ago, we live 2 hours from the nearest pet hospital, what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tootsie and she is 13 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tootsie?
Customer: No, she's currently update on all shots and has been spayed, healthy dog otherwise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. Is Tootsie showing any adverse side effects of any kind at present ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She doesn't seem to, although she is thirsty, I wasn't sure if I should give her water or food at this time?

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good news is that there is nothing in Neosporin which will be toxic to Tootsie as such so she is in no real danger, however some dogs may experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but I would not expect anything worse than that. Thirst is also possible but again is nothing to worry about.

2. In this sort of situation there are no special measure you need take other than just observing your dog for present, you can give her food and water now if you wish but it may be wise to keep her on light feeding for the next 24 hours.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tootsie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tootsie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Neosporin she swallowed ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.