Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She just vomitted and i was wondering if I could give my dog

Customer Question

she just vomitted and i was wondering if I could give my dog 1/4 tab of phenergan?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cassie and she is 12y
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Cassie?
Customer: she ate her usual food this morning, and had three episodes of diarrhea which was odd?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Cassie is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I am not sure that that Phenergan { promethazine } being an antihistamine will be of much use in this sort of situation so really it would be best avoided. However there are measure you can take where a dog has gastroenteritis { vomiting and diarrhoea } as Cassie has, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons for larger breeds.

5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Cassie deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 26 days ago.

Hello again Katherine,

I am just checking back in to see how Cassie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.