Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

She is breathing very heavily and doesn't want to eat. Nessa

Customer Question

She is breathing very heavily and doesn't want to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nessa and I'm not sure but possibly more than 12 yrars
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Nessa?
Customer: She was sick a few days ago and would not eat but, she seemed to bounce back after that until today. She started not feeling well on Wednesday last week but by Thursday she was back to her old self. Today she is breathing very rapidly
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 26 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your Nessa is not feeling well. The heavy breathing has be concerned and may signal pain or an inability to properly oxygenate her tissues resulting in an increased respiratory rate and/or effort. Are her gums pale or white? Is she lethargic or painful? What kind of dog is she?

If she is pale or painful, I recommend taking her to the nearest emergency vet as she may be seriously ill or at the least in need of pain medication to help ease her discomfort. If she is nice and pink and not painful, and the only thing different is her appetite then I recommend taking her to your vet tomorrow to be evaluated. I recommend a chemistry panel and CBC be performed to look for causes decreased appetite.

I hope this answers your question tonight. If you have further concerns I can address, please let me know.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. She is a miniature dachshund. A little pale but not painful.
Kathleen Caddell
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 26 days ago.

I'm glad that she seems comfortable. depending on how pale she is she may be normal or there may be an issue. If she is otherwise comfortable and able to rest, then she is likely not in distress and you can make an appointment to see your veterinarian this week. if she is unable to get comfortable, seems lethargic, appears to be concentrating on her breathing, is breathing fast with her mouth closed (so not just regular panting but actually working to move air) or becomes more pale than she is now, she should ideally be evaluated by an emergency veterinarian tonight.

Lots of things can cause panting and loss of appetite and the two may or may not be related but only a hands on exam with a veterinarian can determine if additional intervention or diagnostics are necessary.