Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an English bulldog and he cant open his eyes there

Customer Question

I have an English bulldog and he cant open his eyes there shut. he might open for maybe a split second but not fully open and then they shut. what does this mean?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he's about 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about brutus?
Customer: That's it.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 27 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Brutus. It means that his eyes are too painful to open. Because you're handicapped in not being able to visualize his eyes, Brutus's vet will need to attend to Brutus. A local anesthetic ophthalmic drop can be instilled into each of Brutus's eyes which will then allow him to open them. His vet will look for corneal damage in the form of abrasions or ulcers and painful disorders inside the eyes such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) and glaucoma.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
what can I do in the meantime? until I see the vet in the morning.
is there anything over the counter I can give him?

The only safe over the counter analgesics are aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals and acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Please don't force any type of eyedrop into eyes until we know better what's going on with them. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?