Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We are evaluating a dog puppy for purchase. It's third

Customer Question

We are evaluating a dog puppy for purchase. It's third eyelid (Nitigating Membrane?) is not normal. Normally, the third eyelid can retract all the way. In this dog, we noticed that the hole for the third eyelid is just 4 mm in diameter and thus no matter what position it is in it covers most of the cornea. The dog can't see out of that eye and has no depth perception. Is this something that can be corrected with surgery or does this mean the eye is blind? The dog is only 12 weeks old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about It 's?
Customer: There are no other issues with the dog. It seems to have difficult seeing at night and it bumps into things like walls. It has less problems during the day but still occasionally bumps into walls and objects even during the day.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 26 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has this puppy been thoroughly checked by a veterinarian? Did they diagnose any conditions associated with the membrane?