Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Not sure if he ingested zantac....somehow he got a small

Customer Question

Not sure if he ingested zantac....somehow he got a small bubble pack but I dont know how many were left or if he got any....i know he may have gotten a small amount the he bit into. Should we induce vomitting with peroxide. He is a 3 month old frenchie who weighs 9 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bentley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bentley?
Customer: Other thean he likes to eat everything he finds on the floor and hes extremely lively thats it. He seems fine and was barking at me when I took it away.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago do you think he had these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 15 minuts or less ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Called my vet and they were not sure what I should do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now Zantac is a drug we use safely in dogs, but given Bentley's small weight even one tablet would be quite an overdose (since his owne dose would only be 8mg and standard zantac is 75mg). And since it can strain the kidneys and liver, if we think he had quite a few it would be best to counter this just to avoid any issue.

Now if he just had this, we can induce vomiting. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, even one tablet would be quite an overdose and while there are no reported severe signs it is a drug known to stress the kidney and liver in large doses. So,I would opt for the above for Bentley to just get these up and out of his stomach and prevent any risk.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok we only had to give him 3 mls and he has vomitted 3 times
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When can I give him the food items you mentioned. He acts like hes starving always
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Perfect and hopefully we got that all out of his system.

In regard to feeding, I tend to suggest result their stomachs for a few hours to just avoid them vomiting the food. But once he is settled you can start with a small meal of one of the above to see if he will keep it down.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.