Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

5 1/2 year old Black lab/ wiemeriner mix drinking tons of

Customer Question

5 1/2 year old Black lab/ wiemeriner mix drinking tons of water but won't eat and vomits anything that he does eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: Lethargic but I attribute that to not keeping any food down
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Has the increased thirst only been since the vomiting started?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just reread your response. No on the diarrhea. Don't notice any discoloration on gums. Nose is dry.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I cannot see a reply about whether Buddy's water drinking was an issue before or after the vomiting. Hopefully it arose the same time or after, so we can rule out underlying organ issues. If we can our main concerns for his nausea (what is causing the vomiting and appetite loss) would be bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only).The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Buddy. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In the chronological events history I believe that I stated that the water consumption came a couple of weeks before the vomiting/lack of appetite.This morning he looks a little better, up walking somewhat. However, he just slammed his stomach with water (the bowl was dry from overnight drinks), and vomited within a couple of minutes.Unfortunately I have about $2.00 to my name, so about the only thing that I can afford would be the initial vet visit. Anything else.... :(. I guess at least I would know what's up.I should have known that online vet would be as shaky as online MD (no offense please, y'all have to be very careful nowadays). It was very early in the morning, and I just wanted to know if he was in danger of dying that morning (parvovirus or something like it -he's had his shots though).I've tried a BRAT type diet, he's just not interested right now.Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I am not sure what you mean by "shakey". As I am sure you can appreciate, not being able to examine a dog in person does mean we cannot narrow down the cause of illness to a single disease process. Still I did narrow it down for you to a few concerns and Parvo nor an emergency one was on the top of my differential list for you. And I have to say that while your initial history wasn't clear on the water intake part of his signs, if that was preceding these GI ones then we'd be worried about an underlying metabolic or organ issue as well. In any case, you need to restrict him to small sips of water since they will vomit if they are allowed to overfill his stomach. And do try the above to at least to soothe his poor stomach. Otherwise, even if funds are limited, it'd be worth contacting your local Humane Society or ASPCA as they can provide aid for these kinds of situations. Else you could ring your local VCA or Banfield regarding their free first consult offer to at least have that cost offset for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I said - I meant no offense - and I'm sure that I worded wrong. I'm sorry. I'm a retired FF/ Paramedic and am well aware of the limitations of not being able to see the patient. I should have been more explicit in my wording. No offense. I guess I meant "shakes" to mean "won't really get a thourough answer because of the limitations of the vehicle of our conversation, and your need to not put yourself in a position of litigation". I shouldn't write when I've been up for a couple of nights, and am anxious about Buddy's condition. Again, if I offended you I am truly sorry. Thank you for your answers.BTW I can't find my "chronological" Hx that I spelled out, either. I. At not have pushed "send". No wonder you were "in the dark" about his drinking Hx. He started drinking heavily about 2weeks before he lost his appetire/started throwing up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm not offended, I genuinely wasn't sure how you meant the comment. And if you have a paramedic background then you will understand how we must work with the information we have even if we cannot definitively diagnose a case. So I do think the above I outlined is a good place to start for the GI signs. But if he has that increased thirst then organ issues are a concern we many need to look into too

Please take care,

Dr. B