Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

He ate a combat roach bait, Elvis 3 yr old 26 lbs French

Customer Question

hello, he ate a combat roach bait
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elvis 3 yr old 26 lbs French Bulldog
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Elvis ingested a Combat Roach Bait.

I do need a little more information.

1. What is the active ingredient in the bait?
  2. Did he eat the plastic bait station too, or just the bait?
  3. How long ago did this occur?
  4. How is he feeling now?
  5. Any long term health issues?
  6. Is he on any flea prevention? If so what are the active ingredients or what is the name of the product?
  7. Is he taking any other medication long term?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the active ingredient in the bait? I don't know? havn't been able to find that
Did he eat the plastic bait station too, or just the bait? no, he ripped it open
How long ago did this occur? 20 minutes
How is he feeling now? normal ( pain in the ass)
Any long term health issues? none
Is he on any flea prevention? If so what are the active ingredients or what is the name of the product?
Is he taking any other medication long term?b he is on trifecsus
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is what the website says of the ingredientsHydramethylnon is a slow-acting stomach poison which takes around 24 hours to kill ants. This allows bugs to survive long enough to take the bait back to the colony and share it with their nest mates, killing off the entire population. Because it infects the ants or roaches that have not had direct exposure to the hydramethylnon, it is said the ingredient has a high secondary kill rate. Hydramethylnon is used in Combat Source Kill Ant Bait Stations, Source Kill for Small + Large Roaches, Source Kill for Large Roaches, and Source Kill for Small Roaches.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Thanks very much for the additional information.

I am glad to hear he did not eat the bait station, that is one less worry, and that he is his usual annoying self!

The ingredients in Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime) should not interact with that particular toxin. In fact some products to kill fire ants combine spinosad & Hydramethylnon.

Hydramethylnon is a trifluoromethyl aminohydrazone insecticide. It is poorly absorbed from a dog's gastrointestinal tract, more than 95% is excreted in the stools and not absorbed.

The most common signs reported in dogs with oral ingestions of hydramethylnon are gagging and vomiting. But we only need to induce vomiting if large amounts (greater than 1 ounce of bait per kilogram or body weight or 0.45 ounces per pound of body weight are ingested. That means if a 26 pound dog eats less than 11.7 ounces of hydramethylnon he should not get sick.

According to the manufacturer of Combat Roach Control System (1.65% hydramethylnon) a medium-sized (4.545 kg or 10 pound) dog would experience adverse effects from the bait itself only after eating an amount equivalent to 50 trays. The amount he ate by eating one trap was even less, and he weighs much more. That means he should not get sick.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.