Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for your dog.
How long ago did he ingest this drug?
And, about how much of it did he eat? 1/2, 1/4th, etc?
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
The adverse effects for this drug when used clinically in dogs is not known and in a potential overdose situation, even less is known, unfortunately. It can be used in dogs although it's not commonly prescribed at a dose of about 15 mg for a dog this size; if he ingested less than 1/2 of a 50 mg tablet, then I wouldn't consider this to constitute a significant toxicity issue for him.
If you want to induce vomting since it's only been about 30 minutes, you could do so if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it shoudl bubble and fizzle). The dose for a dose this size would be 3 teaspoons mixed with bread. Walk him around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dog will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.
If you're unsuccessful and/or don't have peroxide, then I'd monitor him for balance issues or weakness. If any should develop, then a vet visit would be prudent.
More than likely, I suspect he's going to be just fine, though. Deb
I'm glad that it sounds as if your dog is going to be ok which is obviously the most important thing.
I'll ask my moderator to close this question so that you won't be charged for it then.
Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb