How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2953
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15lb puppy ate a 200mg motrin, Hope, No

Customer Question

My 15lb puppy ate a 200mg motrin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hope
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Hope?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Hope today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

How long ago did this occur?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5 minutes
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

For this size of dog, ingesting this dose of ibuprofen can lead to GI distress and ulceration. You can help to evacuate her stomach by giving her some peroxide. Do you have hydrogen peroxide at home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

The 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide has been used successfully as a vomit inducing agent. The general dose is 5 mls (or 1 tsp)/ 5 pounds. So for a dog her size, that would be 3 tsp or the equivalent of 15 mls.

You can give a second dose in 15 minutes if the first dose does not work.

I would do that now and I will continue to type additional instructions.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully, she will vomit so that the absorbed amount of the drug will be less. Even if she does vomit, I would still recommend that you seek emergency services so that activated charcoal can be administered and gastric protective agents be prescribed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have just given her the first dose of peroxide
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have emergency services available?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are trying to find someone. She isn't vomiting
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

It can sometimes take a few minutes. If you give me your zip code, I can try to help you locate ER services.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We called all the vets and they say to call poison control
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

If you call poison control, they will likely tell you what I have told you, but if the ER vet won't treat her until you do, than I would call.

There are two options available to you at this time for poison control:

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the ASPCA is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have a large number of veterinarians and toxicologists on staff and are the best source of information. They will have the most current data as far as toxic doses or dangerous combinations of drugs. The charge to call us is $60 per case and they provide a follow up # and case number ***** you or your veterinarian can call them back on, any number of times (even a year later if needed)at no additional charge. Keep in mind that some products are covered by the manufacturer so the cost of the call may be covered by them. Their number is(###) ###-####/p>

OR

Or Pet Poison Hotline: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/

24/7 Animal Poison Control Center

(###) ###-####/p>

Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. Our knowledge and expertise of pet poisons will put your mind at ease when dealing with a potential emergency.

In order to provide this critical service, please be advised that there is a $49 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow-up calls associated with the management of the case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We just realized we didn't give her the full 15mls. So we have her the rest of the dose
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She vomited. We don't see the pill but all the food she had eaten prior came up
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Are you sure she ate it? It may have dissolved already, especially if it was a gel cap form.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe she didn't get pill like we thought. Should we still give her pepcid? And what dose for how long
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

I would still call poison control and see what they recommend at this time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was a coated orange tablet
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

You can safely give 10 mg of the OTC antacid pepcid twice a day and I would do that for 5-7 days.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for your time we will do that
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome. Good luck with her.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 last question please. We bought the kaopectate. It's 262mg per 15 mls. So we aren't sure how to do the math to get 10mg.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Kaopectate and pepcid are not the same thing. Kaopectate is Bismuth subsalicylate and should not be given. Pepcid is an antacid with the generic name of famotidine. It is available as 10 mg or 20 mg tablets.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Pepcid works to decrease gastric acid so as to protect the stomach lining from ulceration.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah ok I see the mistake we made. We will go buy the tablets needed thank you again
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

sounds good

Related Dog Questions