Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We thought my silky t=, Terrier who is 12 yrs old had a

Customer Question

We thought my silky t=
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Terrier who is 12 yrs old had a tick. Near her armpit so my husband pulled it off w tweezers now she is acting strange
JA: Where does the terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: he pulled it off last night and this morning she seems in pain
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: she is very lethargic and shakes while sleeping. Her name is*****
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help The. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about The?
Customer: she has cushings disease and is on mitotayne once a week
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When he pulled off what we thought was a tick it took him a few tries and she bled after he finally was able to remove it. I then washed the area w soap and water and put neosporin on the spot. We also gave her one dog aspirin last night for pain
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Once this was removed could you determine that it was, indeed, a tick? Ticks have a tiny head and teeny little legs. In any event, if it were a tick, it takes 2-4 weeks for clinical symptoms of tick-borne diseases to appear. I wouldn't incriminate a tick for her lethargy and shaking which is worrisome but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of mitotane overdose. I would discontinue mitotane until you have the opportunity to speak with her vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.