Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a male and female dog and they got stuck together

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a male and female dog and they got stuck together this morning, does this mean that she's for sure pregnant?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: This is her first heat and she's only 8 months
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this doesn't mean she is absolutely pregnant. Just like humans, we can see males be less then fertile, females be just pase conception, and can see pregnancy fail. So, this means pregnancy is a real concern but not an absolute sure thing despite the "tie" you have seen.

With this in mind, your approach will depend on whether you want her to potentially be pregnant. If you are open to her being so (and he isn't an overly large male that could cause pup delivery issues), then you can await until she shows signs ~5 weeks (ie nipple enlargement, belly distension) or have her vet test her soon (ie ultrasound or blood testing around 4 weeks) to see if she is. Otherwise, if you want to counter this and ensure she doesn't become pregnant, you can speak to her vet about medical management options (some do have injectable mismating medication that can be used in the very early stages of pregnancy) or spaying her (to remove the pregnancy and uterus at one time). But again it isn't an absolute even if they were stuck together here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do want to breed her, but not with the dog she was stuck to. Is there any other option to terminate the pregnancy, without removing her uterus?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

As I noted above, some vets do have access to medication that can be given by injection to end pregnancy, so you will need to ring your local vets to see if that is an option in your area.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.
Hi Telisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?

Dr. B.