Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My border collie was given carprofen for his injured leg and

Customer Question

my border collie was given carprofen for his injured leg and I stopped the meds last saturday. he has not eaten food since wednesday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your Border collie will be able to digest that. What is the Border collie's name and age?
Customer: well he's half border, half shepherd..His name is ***** ***** hes 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Moe?
Customer: his behavior has changed drastically in 5 days.. hes drinking a lot of water and I read thats one of the adverse effects of this nasty drug. he's laying aroung and sleeping alot. I have tried steak, rice, cooked chicken. He turns his head and doesnt eat
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

What color are his stools?

Does his urine appear watery/dilute?