Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

12y olde chihuahua. back is arched up. constipated but tries

Customer Question

12y olde chihuahua. back is arched up. constipated but tries to stool. some intermittant diarrhea. incontinence. vet took x pay and says its not prostate . his appetite is slipping . stool softener prescribed . he usually eats lamb n rice kibble , but we begun adding some broth to soften the food . hes had some dental extractions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: peanut is 12 n
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about peanut?
Customer: 12 yeaqrs old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Was the xray considered normal?

What are his stools like now?

Is he still arched despite treatment?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
x ray lookedev ok . the vet thought constipated today wife reports dog did have a firl , normal stool . size unknown to me . dog is still resting and growels if anyone tries to pich him up .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad that he has passed stool, but the growling is a concern since it suggests that he is still sore and uncomfortable. And if he is regular now, we'd hope to rule out constipation for his current signs but it does mean we need to be worried about a possible pancreatitis (a painful condition that could reduce his appetite would not have been picked up on xray --only bloods or an ultrasound),diffuse tumor (again a scan would be needed to see those), or something else possibly causing gut pain or reduced fecal passage.

Now further to using a stool softener, it'd be ideal to speak to his vet about dog safe pain relief, appetite stimulant, +/- anti-nausea medication (since that often is what puts them off eating). If there is any delay in having those added, we could at least OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, if his appetite is on the wane, we'd want to encourage him to eat and can try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and it does help with pancreatitis as well. Fiber like canned pumpkin could also be added to these meals to keep Peanut regularly passing stools and help push anything more out of the gut.

Overall, I am concerned that Peanut's signs may have more to them then constipation especially if he isn't improving and more comfortable since passing stool. Therefore, I would suggest the above to help the gut and his appetite; but would suggest ringing his vet as soon as they are open to discuss those other options to try to get him more comfortable and get this settled for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )