Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog had been licking one of his toes a couple of days

Customer Question

my dog had been licking one of his toes a couple of days ago. it was red so i put some neosporin on it and it got better. today after his walk he was licking his toes again. i noticed that two knuckles seem larger than on his other feet. they feel hard. he is walking and running and playing normally.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: didn't see anything last night i was clipping his nails. this is the first time since i got him 10 months ago. his nails don't seem to be touching the floor when he stands and seem to wear down naturally. but i thought i would clip the tips to get him used to it. did not see a wound.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: i have changed his food from kibble to dehydrated raw venison. he is an itchy dog.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: he also had been on antibiotics for 5 months as he had fho surgery in march and was allergic to the sutures. he developed a fungal/yeast infection and his belly turned black. i took him to see someone who heals holistically. he is on a regimen of probiotics and supplements. his skin is less black after one month on supplements. he can get away with one bath a week now (used to need 2 or 3) and i use apple cider vinegar after bath rinse. and rub him with coconut oil.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you post a picture of the areas of concern?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry my dog is at home. but the toes are not sensitive to touch.

There is no limit on the amount of time that we can spend on this discussion. A picture would help me greatly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will try and get a photo to you later

I'll keep an eye out.