Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is a lab and just ate 1 chocolate donut while we were

Customer Question

she is a lab and just ate 1 chocolate donut while we were gone
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzy and she is 7 about 60lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Izzy?
Customer: she is currently on meds for a tick bite, doxycycline
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Do you know how long ago she would have eaten this?

Is she showing any signs of illness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Within the hour and acting fine. She has been acting out a lot lately with eating food etc
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. With her size, chocolate toxicity wouldn't be my first concern. I would be more concerned about a pancreatitis. If it has been within the hour, I would just try to get her to vomit. You can give 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 lbs of body weight orally to get that done. That dose can be repeated in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. If you can get her to vomit most of it out, I would just monitor her for any further vomiting, bloody stool, increased agitation, nervousness/anxiety, tremors or seizures. If you see any issues, then I would have her evaluated by a vet immediately. If you cannot get her to vomit, it would be best to get her to the vet to see if they can get her to vomit. It doesn't sound like this will be a life threatening issue, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Izzy is doing and to see if you have any further questions.