Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My labrador has gastrointestinal lymphoma and has lost huge

Customer Question

My labrador has gastrointestinal lymphoma and has lost huge weight. He is listless and no energy to wag his tail, and his breathing is shallow and faster than usual today. He is becoming inappetent again, I have to decide to either start him on chemo on Monday or put him to sleep. My gut instinct keeps telling me today that he is slipping away and may be gone before Monday. Is it ok to keep him here at home. He is resting omn my bed. He is only four. Our gorgeous Golden retriever Max.
JA: Funny breathing is scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian immediately. Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: yes. please see above
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: I think it is all I have written.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. I agree with you that he may be lost before Monday comes around. You need to be aware that should you elect for chemo, he needs ancillary support in the form of intravenous fluids +/- antibiotics prior to chemo. That implies that he should be hospitalized in critical care at this time in preparation for his chemotherapy. If you elect to keep him at home over the weekend there's the potention of his becoming agonal - distressing symptoms for him and you including severe vomiting, diarrhea, and possibly seizures.

It's important to recognize, too, that chemotherapeutic treatment efficacy remains variable, with reported median remission times as little as 3 months and up to 12 months. Failure to achieve remission, and diarrhea at presentation are negative prognositic indicators. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?