Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 5 1/2 month yorkie. A month to the date we took him

Customer Question

I have a 5 1/2 month yorkie. A month to the date we took him to er bc all of a sudden he was wobbly (like Parkinson's), couldn't stand very lethargic. His kidney enzymes were a little elevated and they kept him overnight IV and was fine. Blood at vet next week was fine and has been fine ever since. Chalked it up that he got into something. Same thing happened a few hours ago. I gave him some nutrical but he's still sleeping but wobbly when he gets up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: Not that I can think of he's had all shots
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 28 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. May I have an update on Tucker, please?

You appear to be describing complex partial seizures (previously called petit mal and also called psychomotor seizures) which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and are associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these event and for just what you witnessed. Tucker's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Tucker should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Becaue Tucker is a Yorkie, it would be prudent to check his liver function with a blood test called serum bile acids. Yorkies are over-represented with portosystemic shunts - vascular anomalies associated with the liver which can predispose to hepatotoxicity - poisoning of the brain by a poorly functioning liver. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
This went on from about 630p to 1130p last night. He slept a lot but I kept waking him up to make sure he was ok. He would occasionally take deep breathes as he slept. His Parkinson's like shake remained the entire time, sometimes trembling sometimes not. Then he just came out of it m; running, playing, eating perfectly fine the rest of the night. He slept throughout the night and was fine this morning

Thank you for the good update. His (reasonably) quick remission suggests complex seizure. Please let his vet know what you've witnessed. Should it recur, take a video of Tucker for his vet (and me) to see. This is a good example where a picture is worth 1000 words. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will thank you so much! Is there specific testing I should seek out with his vet?

Yes, a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests plus serum bile acids as I mentioned above. We need to rule out an extracranial (outside the skull) disorder that's affecting Tucker's brain. Intracranial (within the skull) disorders require cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and/or MRI. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks. He's
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Due for his heartworm pill should I still give it to him today?

Yes, I see no contraindication to it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.