PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog had an acl repair and I was careless and she jumped

Customer Question

My dog had an acl repair and I was careless and she jumped off the couch and I think she hurt it. We are in week five post surgery
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Asia she is 7
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Asia?
Customer: That's my only concern
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

A recheck with her surgeon needs to be scheduled promptly. Until she can be examined, she needs to be kennel rested and leash walked to be sure that no further injury occurs, just in case the implant is damaged. If you cannot get her in to see the surgeon in the next few days, she should be examined by your regular vet or an ER vet to determine what needs to happen from this point forward in her care. If this is just tender, they may prescribe NSAIDs and pain meds and if the implant is damaged they will likely recommend a surgical approach.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is going to see the surgeon tomorrow, I have her resting now she is able to walk on it but I can tell she is feeling discomfort.What are the signs and symptoms of implant damage

It depends on the severity but many dogs will go back to the same symptoms as before, avoiding usage of the leg, limping, discomfort, etc. The discomfort may simply be due to a rough landing post-surgery but it could also be due to a more pressing conceern such as the implant damage. There's no way to be sure at home and they may need to sedate her tomorrow to check her knee for laxity. Ideally, the dog will be completely relaxed and not hindering efforts to palpate the area but many are so tender that moving the leg around even gently is too much for them to handle without sedation.

Checking in. How is Asia?