Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My has been shaking and wont lay down, I think she has a

Customer Question

my ***** ***** has been shaking and wont lay down, I think she has a stomach ache and she wont leave my side. I fear she found the kids halloween candy but I cant find evidence
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help russell. How old is russell?
Customer: she is 2 1/2 also my nanny gave her a bone earlier tonite
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about russell?
Customer: she simply sits in bed an shivers and wont lay down. she usually burrows and sleeps hard with us.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Is her stomach grumbling?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know how long she has been like this, I've been away all day and this evening. I don't see any thing unusual except she wont lay down and is shaking. I press her stomach with little reaction. she has a dog door so I dont even know if she has vomited or diarrhea. sorry wish i knew more
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long should I continue to wait to get an answer or an idea of what could be the issue?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your patience, as you can see I was typing quite a bit for you.

Now this is tricky with so little to go on. Her shaking is a non-specific sign that just tells us that she feels unwell. As well, her refusal to lay down could be related to stomach discomfort but again it is a sign we can see with a wide range of issues. That all said, if she was given a bone that is a worry here as bones often cause gut discomfort, shards can damage the gut, and there is a blockage risk. So, if she did have a bone that could be our trigger here and that means we need to tread with care.

Now hopefully her gums are normal colored (paling is a sign of internal bleeding or circulatory compromise),as we'd want her seen urgently if they were not. Otherwise, to try to address and/or rule out gut upset, you can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Offer these as small meals and give her 30 minutes after to settle between offerings. As well, since we have a bone ingestion in the history, do add canned or boiled pumpkin +/- OTC cat hairball treatment to these meals as these will help push any bone bits through.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing since they are quite vague. Though if we have a bone in her history it is possible that is at the root of her signs. So,we'd want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, has belly pain, paling gums, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that needs to be addressed. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication and address any blockages if present.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** comforting and I will do as recommended.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes and peaceful night.

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you - I did rest better. Though we slept sitting up that was comfortable to her and she ate the rice I put out for her. After by 8 in the morning she seemed back to normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am very glad to hear that she is feeling better. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------