Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has back spasms when you pet him, I thought it was a

Customer Question

My dog has back spasms when you pet him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I thought it was a flea but I gave him a bath with tea tree oil and he still has it His name is ***** ***** he will be 10 years old in December
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max.

I agree this could be fleas; being allergic to fleas and flea bites is the most common cause of dogs having twitching along the spine when they are petted.

Tea tree oil would not eliminate fleas; you need to use something like Advantix, Frontline, or the Seresto collar. For a more "natural" treatment I recommend Buck Mountain parasite dust.

Tea tree oil can be toxic to dogs, causing temporary paralysis and other symptoms:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/what-you-should-know-about-tea-tree-oil-toxicity-in-dogs-and-cats

I would try a safer and more effective flea treatment, and see if that helps. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! How is Max doing?