Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Twinkles had vomiting and diaherra on Sunday. I raced

Customer Question

Hi, my dog Twinkles had vomiting and diaherra on Sunday. I raced her to the emergency vet because it was Sunday afternoon and normal places were closed. The vet did blood tests & x-rays & found nothing wrong outside of a UTI which the doctor stated would not be causing the vomiting nor diaherra We went home with prescriptions for cerenia, simplicef & metroidazole. All medicines were to be given once a day except the cerenia which was twice a day. It is now Thursday & twinkles has not vomited or had diaherra but she also has not had a bowel movement since Sunday (so we are going on 5 days). She has been eating small amounts of plain chicken & boiled meat with rice. About half her normal intake of food. Should I take her back to the vet because she is not pooping or is her constipation from the medicine? Should I go get colac? She is 27lbs. I have also been giving her two tablespoons of pumkin over the last 24hrs 3 times but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. She is not straining or even attempting to do #2. I do not know what to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now it is important to know that dogs that have had profuse diarrhea and then have been fed small meals of a light diet, won't have much stool to pass. So, we often see a few days without any bowel movements. Therefore, we don't panic if they aren't trying to go and have no belly pain. That said, if it has been 5 days, then we'd want to be a bit more proactive to keep things moving in her gut. Colace is not recommended here and instead we have some other options to use for her.

First, we sometimes find that cow's milk can be helpful at getting things moving along due to the lactose increasing gut movement. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) from your local vet or the pet shop can be used to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, since it has been 5 days, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). And these would be our safest options for Twinkles to get her passing stool. If she doesn't do so in the 8-12 hours after using these, then we'd want to consider having her vet give an enema under sedation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Twinkles. How is everything going?

Dr. B.