Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dogs loves the beach but when he's there he plays with

Customer Question

hi pearl, my dogs loves the beach but when he's there he plays with stones and ends up swallowing quite a bit of sand. He's eating properly and pooping but his poop has lots of sand in it, so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him pass the sand
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Freddy, he's 5 he's small, half terrier kind
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Freddy?
Customer: no he's generally perfectly healthy, he did have meningitis 3 years ago and has been a nervous dog since then, but that's about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

I would be limiting the amount of stones he can pick as both stones and sand if swallowed can cause a blockage.

Can you give him a leave it command for the stones and redirect him to a bigger dog toy? That would be the best bet to keep his health from being compromised.

To help items pass, providing there is no blockage. you can add some pure canned pumpkin to his daily meal. a1/2 teaspoon to a whole teaspoon. Pumpkin acts like a fiber and helps to push things through. Again you don't want to do this if there is a blockage and a blockage would show sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If he is acting his normal playful self then it likely he is fine.