Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is anybody there?!? I paid the $19 about 1/2 hour ago. He

Customer Question

Hello --- Is anybody there?!? I paid the $19 about 1/2 hour ago.

He his lethargic. Just laid quiet for most of the day. Drinking, but not eating. Went to take him for a walk around noon, got as far as the sidewalk and he stopped, wouldn't go any further so took him back in. JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: He is relatively new to me. Found him in March running down a street in my neighborhood...no tags or chip. My vet says he is about 8 years old. We call him Sammy. JA: What is the dog's name? Customer: Sammy JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sammy? Customer: No, o/with he has been in good health.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Sammy, please?

Unfotunately, his lethargy and anorexia while important symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. In order to determine the urgency of having Sammy attended to by his vet, please check his vital signs for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.