Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 7.5 pound dachshund may have just swallowed a 25 mg

Customer Question

my 7.5 pound dachshund may have just swallowed a 25 mg phenegran, do I need to induce vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: 6 mnths annie
JA: How old is annie?
Customer: 9 months oops 6 '
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about annie?
Customer: she seems fine it has been 10 mins I can't get in touch with my et vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

You'll need a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide. You can follow the directions here: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

The general rule for peroxide is 5mls (or 1 teaspoon) per 10 pounds, orally. Repeat every 15-20 minutes, up to three times, until the animal vomits. Care must be taken, especially with cats, as aspiration into the lungs of the resulting foam can cause pneumonia.

Most often with overdosage we see sedation. If this occurs, she needs to be examined promptly.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800