Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My shitzu/maltese 6 year old dog was bitten by something out

Customer Question

My shitzu/maltese 6 year old dog was bitten by something out in the woods. He has a bruise under his neck. We dont know if it was an insect or a snake. He is on antibiotics and pain meds from vet. Is the bruising normal?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: Did you receive my question?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: not at all
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mardi
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Mardi?
Customer: no...he is part of our family (the vet) and knows all about Mardi
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you post a picture of the bruising?

When did this occur?

How is he otherwise doing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dont know how to post a pic from phone. Sorry. He seems fine. I am just concerned about the bruise

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is eating well. Seems ok...

Bruising is very common with any type of injury, whether that is incurred from a snake or a sting from an insect. If this is a snake bite, there are some toxins which cause more bruising than others so this could very well be par for the course after sustaining a bite or sting, yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no worries?

I cannot tell you that there are no worries. Snake bites can be life threatening but the longer after the initial assault happens and the better the pet feels the more likely the pet is going to be just fine.

Checking in, Lyn. Can I offer any additional assistance to you?