Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has been trouble pooping. When she it's like she

Customer Question

My dog has been trouble pooping. When she poops it's like she isn't getting it all out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i meant to add more it just sent before I could type.. today she did it again she's been dragging her butt on the ground I picked her up and it was like a nickel sized hard as a rock poop this wouldn't come out about 5 mins later it came out but her behind is still hard. Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 1 month ago.

Primary constipation is not very common in dogs, so I typically am looking for an underlying reason when we see a patient having trouble moving their bowels. I would begin with a parasite check, as parasites can inflame the bowel to cause secondary constipation. Certain worm parasites can partially obstruct the bowel, so that is another reason to check. You can collect a sample and drop it off at your vet for a simple parasite check any time.

Regarding helping with the direct clinics symptoms, I would consider adding some fiber to the diet. This is easily accomplished by adding 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin for every ten pounds your puppy weighs. Once she is producing normal stools, I would stop the pumpkin and see how she does from there.

Do you have any follow up on my consultation?

Okay, I am going to go ahead and exit the chat. You can still post follow up questions if you have any. Quick correction, dose for pumpkin is 1/2 TABLESPOON per 10 pounds of body weight per day, NOT 1.2 a teaspoon. Wish you and your dog the vert best! Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Best regards,

Dr. Roger Welton