Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She had kidney stones a week ago and now she is peeing small

Customer Question

she had kidney stones a week ago and now she is peeing small amounts all over the house at random times. She is on Clavamox
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny and she is 2
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where the stones in the kidneys or actually in the bladder?

Is she on a special diet for the stones?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure if they were in her kidney or bladder. The emergency vet I went to send them to the lab to find out what kind they were. She is on Hills C&D now
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. If they submitted stones, it was most likely bladder stones. Did they do bladder surgery on her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, she passed all the stones and the xrays did not show any others
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

That type of urination behavior is usually due to inflammation of the bladder. Bladder infection is the most common cause, but bladder stones and cancer can cause it as well. I wouldn't expect bladder cancer in a 2 year old dog, so that is unlikely. She may have a bladder infection that is resistant to the Clavamox. It is possible that there was a small bladder stone that couldn't be seen on the x-rays initially but is larger enough to be detected now. Certain bladder stones cannot be seen on an x-ray either because of their composition. They can only be seen on an ultrasound. I would have your vet re-evaluate the urine again. A culture of the urine would be ideal but may show false negative results if already on antibiotics. I would also consider changing antibiotics in case it is a resistant infection. I would be a good idea to repeat the x-rays at this point or even check an ultrasound of the bladder if the x-ray doesn't show anything. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Penny is doing and to see if you have any further questions.