Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is a 12 year old resuce Airedale. She was spayed late

Customer Question

My dog is a 12 year old resuce Airedale. She was spayed late in life (age 5) and probably bred too often. She had a mammary gland issue in 2009, the nipple removed and margins clean. Upon grooming, the groomer found one of her nipples swollen and with a discharge. The vet saw it and said it was inverted and just to watch it but didn't seem to concerned. Shall I just check her periodically?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No during my time having Delia she has had two ACL surgeries and has a bit of arthritis (most likely from being caged as a breeder dog)
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The inverted nipple can be a sign of complications or absolutely nothing at all. Check this area weekly but also take a clear photo of the nipple now so you have one to compare it to. If you see any changes, growth, appearance of different discharge, pain, swelling, etc. she needs to have the area re-examined and probably removed surgically given her history. A histopathology would be wise to determine what types of cells are present and if any other treatment is recommended.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. Can I offer any additional support? Do you have other questions regarding treatment for this condition?