Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a 12 year old poodle. He suddenly started

Customer Question

My dog is a 12 year old poodle. He suddenly started breathing heavily and is lathargic. The past 2 days he does not want to eat. Our vet just told us that he has a heart murmur. I don't know if these are just sysmptoms and causes of his heart murmur.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help your poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Hershey
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Hershey?
Customer: A couple of weeks I took hershey to the ver because he was knawing on his front lets untill he created a lesion. The vet told us that hershey might be experiencing either nervouseness or some arthritis. He gave hershey a cortisone shot and a antibacterial injection as well. A week later hershey starts having fast breathing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Hershey. Two days of anorexia and tachypnea (increased respiratory rate) are very worrisome in a 12 year old. If Hershey's respiratory rate has exceeded 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest, he needs to see his vet at your earliest convenience. My primary concern is that his heart has decompensated and he's now in congestive heart failure but there are many considerations when the combination of anorexia and tachypnea exist. Please check his respiratory rate and let me know what you find.