Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has a bluish eye with a discharge this morning. His eye

Customer Question

he has a bluish gray eye with a discharge this morning. His eye seems swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: PJ and he's about 14 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about PJ?
Customer: he ruptured his acl
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that PJs eye has these changes and especially that the eye seems swollen. This is because if the eyeball is swollen that is a sign of glaucoma and is an emergency for our dogs. So, with that finding, we would want him seen right away.

Otherwise, while it is quite possible that the increased pressure in the eye is inflaming the cornea to give you this blue haze, other possible causes for that (not the eye being swollen though) would be topical damage to the cornea or severe conjunctivitis (which can cause snotty eye discharge). Those can be less urgent but as severe topical damage can perforate and compromise the eye, often they are not. Therefore, in this case and since eyes are so delicate, we'd really want to have PJ seen by the local vet (or ER vet) right way to get this under control and prevent permanent eye damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )