PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She has had diarrhea off and on for three days. She got

Customer Question

She has had diarrhea off and on for three days. She got subcutaneous fluids today. And is really lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Layla
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Layla?
Customer: 11 years old. English Bulldog. Otherwise healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
2) Any bloodwork run today?
3) What food is she on currently?
4) How well is she eating?
5) Did they start any GI meds?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No bloodwork. Just her heartworm test which she was due for.Vomitting on sun morning. Just a little bile. Normal BM in am. Then soft around midafternoon. Then diarehea by dinner time and again twice on monday. No blood. Not interested in food or water monday until dinner and ate a little rice and boiled chicken.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had given her Sentinal spectrum Sat. Its only the second time she had had it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But i was surprised they gave her fluids without a blood profile. Since the fluids she is eating and drinking a bit more... just rice and chicken for now. No BM at all today. And she is not as sure on her feet since the fluids. She has trouble going up stairs

The sentinel could certainly be to blame here, so I would make sure she has a normal sized meal at her next dosing. If this repeats, ask your vet to put her on something different for heart worm prevention and request a refund from the company after sharing her symptoms.

Fluid therapy without bloodwork is not uncommon but it sounds like it's helped if she is eating and drinking more. If her symptoms persist or she goes off of her food again, blood work would be wise to rule out an underlying issue such as pancreatitis. Her difficulty going up stairs may be to soreness from the SQ fluids, but keep a close eye on this symptom as it may indicate something entirely different with her feeling unwell.

As she's had some vomiting, though it seems to be decreasing in frequency, I would also try pepcid to keep her stomach calm and see if this helps give her appetite back. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion feeling today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy