Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He suddenly got a swollen by his eye can't afford to take

Customer Question

He suddenly got a swollen by his eye can't afford to take him to the vet until after I get paid. Is there anything I can give him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mosey and he's 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Mosey?
Customer: No he does look like one of his lymph nodes is swollen as well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

What kind of dog is Mosey?

Is he still eating/drinking normally?

Any drooling at all?

Where near his eye is it swollen?

Do you know how long it's been there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mosey is a mini dachshund it just started yesterday. It went down a little bit. It's right below his eye. He is eating and drinking fine he has been drooling a little more then he usually does and it's only just now been a day since it started.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

If you look inside his mouth, do you notice any redness or swelling?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no redness or swelling we have been checking all day today and yesterday since it happened. It was very sudden the swelling.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Okay...great. THanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

From your description of the increase in drooling and the swelling under the eye that happened suddenly, I strongly suspect that we're actually dealing with a dental infection of some sort...most likely one under the jawline, which is why there's swelling near the eye and no visible swelling inside the mouth itself.

Unfortunately, this happens pretty frequently in smaller dogs, and definitely requires a trip to the vet so they can get him on some antibiotics to get the infection cleared up before it spreads to the rest of the body.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None of thoseach sites have information on anything