Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

My dog ate pieces of a tin can he threw it up and seems

Customer Question

My dog ate pieces of a tin can he threw it up and seems fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ZEUS 8 months old, great dane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about ZEUS?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you feel comfortable in saying that he threw up all of the pieces?

2- Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do think he threw it all up, it's been a few d as ys and he seems ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry, I just want to make sure I understand your question, so you want to know if he is okay? Or, what is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long after it happens is he in the clear?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are having this problem with your dog. The concern with the ingestion of a piece of tin is an obstruction or perforation of the gastrointestinal tract if there are any sharp edges. However, if he vomited all of the tin can then he should not have any problem. Now, if there is still some pieces left behind it may take as long as a week or more before a patient may show any symptoms. If you are not 100% if he vomited all of the pieces I would have him checked by the family vet for an abdominal x-ray. You see, it is best to treat the patient before he develops symptoms. Once the patient starts showing symptoms there is usually lots of damage in the intestinal tract, the prognosis is worse and more expensive to treat. In the meantime, I would change the diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind any pieces and help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into the regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter